FIFA Clears Investigation Over 2018 and 2022 World Cups
The FIFA Ethics Committee decides 2018 and 2022 World Cups will still be played in Russia and Qatar despite ethics breaches.
After a year of investigation, the FIFA Ethics Committee, represented by judge Hans-Joachim Eckert found no significant evidence of corruption into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 soccer World Cups to be played at Russia and Qatar respectively.
Eckert released Thursday a 42 page summary of the investigation results, in which he reported numerous irregularities but none sufficient enough to re-open the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
Eckert said “In particular, the effects of these occurrences on the biding process as a whole were far from reaching any threshold that would require returning to the bidding process, let alone reopening it.”
The former U.S. attorney, Michael J. Garcia, who was the head of the investigatory chamber and presented a 430 page report on the bidding process irregularities, said he will appeal the committee’s decision.
“Today’s decision by the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber contains numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts and conclusions detailed in the investigatory chamber’s report,” said García.
Regarding Qatar’s bidding process, García’s report said that Mohamed Bin Hammam, former Asian Football Confederation President made “several improper payments” to Jack Warner, a former FIFA executive committee member and to Reynald Temarii, Oceania Football Confederation President.
But Eckert concluded that there was no direct link between the tournament’s bid and the illicit payments by Hammam, who has been banned for life from FIFA, accused of paying bribes.
Meanwhile the Qatari Football Association released a statement saying “We cooperated fully with the ethics committee’s investigation and continue to believe that a fair and appropriate review will demonstrate the integrity and quality of our bid.”
Regarding Russia, Eckert’s report said that no evidence of misconduct was found, therefore they had been cleared of any charge. However, the report said that the computers used by the Russians to bid were destroyed, making e-mail inaccessible for the investigators.
The President of Russia’s 2018 Organizing Committee, Alexei Sorokin said “Everything we could supply to the investigation, we did.
“We don’t have any particular emotions because we were always confident that there could be nothing which would come out from this investigation,” he added.
The report by Eckert concluded by saying “FIFA welcomes the fact that a degree of closure has been reached with the chairman of the adjuratory chamber stating today that ‘the evaluation of the 2018/2022 FIFA World cup bidding process is closed for the FIFA ethics committee.”
And the report added “FIFA looks forward to continuing the preparations for Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 which are already well underway.”
Publicado el noviembre 16, 2014 en Actualidad, Deporte, Deportes, Fútbol y etiquetado en 2018 and 2022 World Cups, Federation International Football Association, Switzerland, Zurich. Guarda el enlace permanente. Deja un comentario.